Mopeds in Bike Lanes

Something many of us noticed starting in Copenhagen was the presence of mopeds on the bike lanes. I assumed they were illegal because they have motors and can get up to high speeds, but they are allowed on bike lanes in Denmark. The Netherlands has had recent legislation around mopeds in bicycle lanes. In 1974, a light moped was introduced that had a maximum speed of 12 mph and dint require helmet usage. Over the years, the light moped evolved to have increased engine power and did not have to have pedals. This meant that people could just sit on the scooter and ride at fast speeds while still avoiding cars. I've been curious to read more about this topic as I don't think it is safe to allow mopeds on bike lanes. To me, they operate more like cars - they go fast, weaving in and out of bikes, they're loud, and they smell like gasoline. Bike lanes are meant to be a refuge from vehicles like that. I always get scared when a moped drives by me on the bike lane. I have the same fear about getting hit my a moped as a car. I feel like I could still be severely injured if I was to be hit or run over by a moped. Some cities in The Netherlands began to lobby for more restrictions on scooters. In 2019, Amsterdam passed a law that banned all light mopeds from using bike paths. One study monitoring moped accidents cited 29 accidents between April and October after the ban. Before the ban, in previous years, accidents averaged 100. The city of Amsterdam was also able to impose 4,270 euros in fines for scooter riders for not wearing a helmet or riding where they are supposed to. I'm glad Amsterdam made this shift to continue to protect bicyclists. 


Sources: https://metrocount.com/ban_mopeds_from_bike_paths_amsterdam/#:~:text=Since%201974%2C%20the%20'light%20moped,display%20a%20blue%20number%20plate.

https://nltimes.nl/2019/12/11/amsterdam-scooter-ban-bike-paths-increased-traffic-safety-flow

https://bikecity.amsterdam.nl/en/inspiration/mopeds/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip Aspirations

Rural Touring

Transportation Pre-Assignment