Reflections on Biking in NL v. DK

 I've really enjoyed the experience to bike in both countries on this trip. I can't decide which has been my favorite to bike. Both places have had their pros and cons in infrastructure and biking culture. Each country seems to be relaxed on the rules but the Dutch embrace that more. The Danes seems more methodical and follow rules even though they aren’t there. The Dutch seem to operate a bit more loose and free-for-all style. Biking is more hectic in Amsterdam than Copenhagen even though they both have a comparable population size. My guess is that it is because there are more tourists in Amsterdam than Copenhagen. I think the biking culture can also be traced to the city culture at large. Weed isn't legal in Copenhagen and I can't imagine them having the Red Light District. Those things don't match with Copenhagen. Copenhagen felt more sophisticated while Amsterdam felt more everyday. Although it's not very wordy, that's the best way I can verbalize my opinions on their culture. 

Below is a list of my personal pros and cons of each city biking system:

Copenhagen pros - mini asphalt bike curb ramps at logical positions, yellow light warning to get ready or slow down, bicycle path height, well-connected city system, left turn, ease of leaving bike anywhere 

Copenhagen cons - felt crowded on bike lanes (and nowhere to go since you are elevated above the cars)

Amsterdam pros - repurposing streets so the car is a guest, well-connected city and suburb system, protected bicycle lane design, red asphalt designation

In this image you can see the red bike lane that is elevated but has sidewalk space on both sides, making it extremely separated from cars. 


Amsterdam cons - not enough bike curb cuts at logical places, no yellow light warning, concrete island is too small when crossing multi-lane streets, overcrowded in city center, confusing signage, unclear left turn system, bike theft

Image of narrow concrete island used by pedestrian, bikers, and people using transit. As you can see, it is probably only 4 people wide. 

As you can see, each system is doing a lot of things well while still having room for improvement. 

In terms of rural and suburban biking, I think the Netherlands is far exceeding Denmark. I feel like I could bike anywhere in Netherlands. Since I have been distancing myself and staying outside, I looked at other towns to visit. It was an interesting feeling to say, "oh that place is 45 minute drive away, I'm sure I can bike there no problem." 

I'm not sure where the U.S. should start with biking infrastructure. The mini asphalt bike ramps would be very easy, but we don't have a big enough system for it to be helpful. I also feel like most of our bike lanes are the shoulder of the road so we don't even need them. Maybe we should start by making more pedestrian walkways and underground parking. Both of these would free up land space within the UGB and create local destinations. By creating pedestrian plazas we can get the public onboard with reclaiming the streets. I would love to be able to have "cars are guest" streets but I doubt that will work. I think we should continue with the green coloring. I've enjoyed the red lanes in Amsterdam because it felt like I had a space to call my own. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip Aspirations

Rural Touring

Transportation Pre-Assignment