Street Trees

One small thing I noticed in the Denmark cities is the lack of street trees. There were a lot of parks in Copenhagen, which I enjoyed, that helped boost the sense of green space. But, there were a lot of streets I went on that seemed without any shade or trees. I thought this was interesting because it seemed like enough of an issue to make me notice it. I had similar feelings in Odense as well. The grass-lined light rail tracks helped improve the sense of green space and connection to nature. Street trees can help reduce the urban heat island effect and reduce stormwater run-off. One of the professionals mentioned that they think the U.S. does better than Denmark in our implementation of stormwater management and nature/biodiversity protection. Reading a bit online, I learned that Scandinavia have a limited array of resistant native plants to choose from, limiting their options. There is also limited rooting space in the ground for street trees. 




Update: After looking through my photos to find ones for this post I'm thinking that there are more street trees than I realized. But I think they are in the wealthier areas or the neighborhood units. By neighborhood units, I mean the enclosed apartment communities inside the city. I also think the tall scale of the buildings makes it easier to glance over the trees, especially if they are new. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip Aspirations

Rural Touring

Transportation Pre-Assignment